Saturday, February 06, 2010

Tell your 3 weakness -- Same old question

I heard this question first time when I was preparing for campus recruitment .. I remember I was so surprised that why other people want to know my weakness  , he should be worried about his own weakness and my skill set  ....... Any how , Lot of people came up with lot of answers where weakness was actually a strength :) .. I also made one answer but no one asked me in any of my interviews .. :)

I got into other part of india for work. On the first day , I was asked to meet Big shot. At the end of meeting  , he asked me "dude tell me ur 3 weakness " and after a gap " Dont give me crap by telling your weakness which are indirect strengths"   .. I had no answer and asked for time  .. He smiled and asked me to come back when I figured out . Both of us never talked on this topic again. But .. I am sure , by now , he must be knowing my weakness more than me ....

Time passes by ... Recently , 2-3 friend  got  interview calls from management institute.  We discussed what should they write  about weakness which are actually strength in their essays . Similarly in interview training , It's being suggested to have some questions ready acting as ice breaker or time filler .. ".... Weakness " fits in those questions' suit.

Issue is ....Could there be something which sounds bad in society but actually could be good for you ... It is quite interesting  .....

Selfishness :  This words fills with the image of greedy and mean person .We all want to be called "Nice guy" and for this we start doing stuff for others at the cost of our own priorities .We say that "Can't say  NO" .. This could be good for sometime but  in a long run this will no work..   We can not keep whole world happy .. If we try then we will certainly landup in disappointment and burdening ourself too much ..We need to setup a boundary some where .
 Self development is a selfish act because you are working on making your life happy . But the thing is that by focusing on helping yourself first you can become stronger and help others in a better way too.

Laziness:  Human is lazy by nature .. This is the reason why there are so many machines / gadgets / new inventions / services in the market .  Being Lazy is good if you focusing your energy on your priorities and dropping low priority stuff . Dropping / Delegating low priority stuff will give your more bandwidth and give relaxation to work more on high priority stuff. Being Lazy may help in discovering  new innovative methods to work thing faster and efficient.

Ruthlessness: Being ruthless , in a bit , could be helpful . You need to take some hard decisions and cut off the stuff which are not in your priorities . Being ruthless will give you time and energy to focus on your topmost priorities . Some of the examples could be skipping some social engagements for your exams / goals or dropping your fav dish  for loosing weight etc . Being Ruthless is not always fun, but you have to be the boss of your life. You have to make the decisions and say NO both to yourself and to others , if necessary.

Any way , Don't answer above three if some one ask your weakness in interview .. You better know why :) . Moreover , Don't make an assumption  that I exhibit all three features :) . I may or may not !

PS : Selfishness becomes real issue when it brings up other emotions like jealousy and envy .  Ruthlessness is hard but one should avoid hurting other people dreams and heart for the sake of being a ruthless person :) . One should have valid reasons for being selfish and ruthless for an act..

1 comment:

Vikrant said...

Thanks for comment!

u are absolutely right .. People u mentioned either have desire to be called "Nice people" or afraid of making enemies or wanna to have networking for future benefits.. They have some kind of self interest hidden in their so called selfless acts.... Actual "un"selfish ppl don't have much expectation of any returns for their acts and "most" of times remain unaffected by other people's reaction for their acts...

I think .. Like Height and weight , we have all personality traits.. Only what differs is their magnitude .....


Hey .. Thanks for compliment ( I guess :D ) about Ayan Rands .. Waise .. I have only read her only one novel :(